Guillemard Bridge was officially opened by HRH Sultan Ismail Ibni Almarhum Sultan Muhammad IV in 1925. The bridge was named after the British Governor and High Commissioner for the Straits Settlement at that time, Sir Laurence Guillemard. Construction works for this railway bridge began in 1920 and was completed in July 1924.
In December 1941, in order to prevent the advancement of the Japanese army, this bridge, which then supported both trains as well as road vehicles, was deliberately destroyed by the British Armed Forces, who later retreated south to Kuala Krai. But the ruined bridge was later reconstructed, and opened again for traffic on September 7, 1948.
Today, this railway bridge is used only for trains, and makes up part of the ‘jungle railway’ line that runs from Tumpat in the north, to Gemas in the south (in Negeri Sembilan). SOURCE